Schedule of Holidays for 2016
|Monday, October 10, 2016||Thanksgiving Day|
|Friday, November 11, 2016||Remembrance Day|
|*Monday, December 26, 2016||Boxing Day|
|*Tuesday, December 27, 2016||In lieu of Christmas Day|
|*Wednesday, December 28, 2016||University Closed|
|*Thursday, December 29, 2016||University Closed|
|*Friday, December 30, 2016||University Closed|
Schedule of Holidays for 2017
|Monday, January 2, 2017||In lieu of New Year's Day|
|Monday, February 20, 2017||Family Day|
|Friday April 14, 2017||Good Friday|
|Monday, May 22, 2017||Victoria Day|
|Monday, July 3, 2017||In lieu of Canada Day|
|Monday, August 7, 2017||Saskatchewan Day|
|Monday, September 4, 2017||Labour Day|
|Monday, October 9, 2017||Thanksgiving Day|
|Monday, November 13, 2017||In lieu of Remembrance Day|
|Monday, December 25, 2017||Christmas Day|
|Tuesday, December 26, 2017||Boxing Day|
|Wednesday, December 27, 2017||University Closed|
|*Thursday, December 28, 2017||University Closed|
|*Friday, December 29, 2017||University Closed|
|Monday, January 1, 2018||New Year's Day|
*Most departments are closed to the public between Christmas and New Years.
Hours of Work during the Christmas Season
Where scheduled functions of the university permit; employees are allowed to leave work at 3:00 pm on December 24. If uncertain, employees should consult with their supervisor regarding the ability to leave early from the work unit. Regular hours of work will resume following the New Year's Day holiday.
Payday for regular monthly paid employees is on the last day prior to the Christmas break.
Some services will be maintained in certain areas as outlined below.
College of Medicine: Contact the clinical departments directly to determine hours of operation.
Western College of Veterinary Medicine: Emergency services in the Veterinary Medical Centre and related diagnostic services will be available on reduced staffing/services. Please contact the departments directly for hours of operation.
Physical Activity Centre (PAC): Contact the PAC at 966-1052 (Customer Service Desk) for hours of operation or visit http://kinesiology.usask.ca/community-programs/.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. If my normal work day ends before 3pm, can I still take that amount of time off?
No, although this is at the discretion of the supervisor.
2. I'm taking vacation on the last day before the Christmas break. How much time do I have to claim as vacation?
A full day is to be claimed.
3. The last day before the Christmas break is on a day that I don't normally work. Can I leave early on another day?
No, the University is closed at 3pm only for those employees who are at work on December 24.
4. How many days do CUPE 1975 employees have to account for as vacation/banked time while the University is closed for the Christmas break?
Those who work a 35 hour work week must account for 3 days and those who work a 38 hour work week must account for 1 day.
5. Can CUPE 1975 employees use the two (2) days of personal leave as per Article 18.4.1 to account for these days?
Yes, although this is subject to approval from the supervisor.
6. I am planning to take off the last day before the Christmas break. Can I leave at 3pm on the day prior?
No, unless vacation or banked time is used. This requires approval of the supervisor.
7. I am a casual employee on campus. Do I get paid overtime if I work between Christmas and New Years on the days that are not statutory holidays?
No, overtime will only be paid at the applicable rate for statutory and official university holidays.